Glenorchy is Tasmania’s fourth largest city with a population of 46,790. The City lies on the western shore of the Derwent River, next to the City of Hobart. Glenorchy is the second biggest employment location in greater Hobart and the industrial centre for Tasmania. Home to the world-famous Museum of Old and New Art (MONA), Glenorchy also has vibrant retail and community services sectors. Our community’s vision for the City is to be a proud city; a city of arts; of opportunity; of partnerships; a city that makes exciting things happen.
We are looking for a Multiskilled Labourer to join the Vegetation Control Team, to effectively and efficiently undertake labouring, plant and vegetation maintenance works associated with the maintenance of creeks, rivulets and wetlands within the Municipality that meets with legislation, industry standards and GCC’s annual maintenance plans
The Candidate: To be considered, you will need to have the following:
- The ability to operate equipment efficiently and safely to ensure satisfactory completion of assigned duties;
- Ability to undertake a diverse range of labouring activities associated with vegetation control including the use of tractors, mowers, brushcutters, hedge trimmers, pole saws, chainsaw, and powered hand tools;
- Using appropriate methods to ensure roadsides comply with a 2-meter clearance, including removal of trees and roadside obstructions;
- The ability to identify declared, noxious and environmental weeds and undertake vegetation and weed control activities in accordance with Council policies and procedures;
- Provide competent traffic management;
- Demonstrated experience to use initiative, problem solving techniques, be able to determine and apply quality control measures;
- Proven experience in WHS in the workplace.
Qualifications: The successful candidate will hold:
- Certificate III Horticulture and/ or a minimum of 2 years’ experience in the control of vegetation and weeds including the identification and noxious weeds and eradication practices and procedures
- Current Medium Rigid Drivers licence
- White Card
- Traffic Management & Chainsaw Accreditations.
Position Numbers: 100979
Position Hours: Full-Time: 38 hours per week, with 9 day fortnight
Salary: Schedule B, Salary Point 4: $54,387.55 - $57,154.60 in accordance with Glenorchy City Council’s Enterprise Agreement 2016
Probation Period: 12 weeks
The position includes generous terms and conditions as outlined in the Glenorchy City Council Enterprise Agreement 2016; including 13% superannuation.
Please note that all successful applicants will be required to provide a National Police Check and/or Vulnerable People Registration prior to commencement of employment.
For further information on this position, contact Scott Crosby, Vegetation Control Coordinator on (03) 6216 6800.
How to apply: Applications for this position must be lodged through this online submission site or on the link located on the Careers page at www.gcc.tas.gov.au.
To be considered for this role, all applicants must address the selection criteria and provide a current resume.
A copy of the position description can be found on the link below or on Council's website: www.gcc.tas.gov.au
Applications close at 8pm on Sunday, 25th October 2020